As long as there are needy children, so long will the Homes in Kalimpong be needed.
Over the years, Dr Graham's Homes has evolved into a fully-fledged boarding school with pupils from all over Southern Asia. Of the 1,300-plus children who attend today, over 10% are from disadvantaged backgrounds – children born into slums, parentless families or broken homes, who would otherwise have no hope of an education. Dr Graham's original vision was to bring hope and security to poverty-stricken children, many of whom were Anglo-Indians.
Meeting the Need
This vision lives on and motivates our charity today as we seek to find sponsors for these children so they can grow up safe, secure and loved, and receive high-quality teaching that will give them the best possible chance in life. Many of our children arrive at the Homes at a very young age, to be nurtured in the unique Cottage System by the school’s live-in staff (known as “Uncles and Aunties ”).
At the end of their time at the Homes, we do not want to send our children out into the world with only a school education behind them. This is why we continue to sponsor them through college or further training for careers such as nursing, hotel management, the airlines or the health and beauty industry.
Dr Graham’s philosophy was to “meet people at the point of their need,” equipping them with everything they need for a life of love and service to others. A century on, we’re proud still to be building on that legacy.
Our mission statement
To relieve the poverty of needy children by providing for their education and welfare at Dr Graham’s Homes.
Our strategic aims
- Support children and students through the Sponsorship Scheme
- Protect the welfare of the children of Dr Graham’s Homes through robust safeguarding processes
- Work with the Board of Management and the Homes to deliver a medium-to-long-term strategic plan for Dr Graham’s Homes in light of recommendations of an independent review
- Raise awareness and funds
- Maintain a well-functioning UK Committee with adequate succession planning, all policies up to date and compliance with legal duty
Our Strategic Aims are achieved through the work of the Board of Trustees and its subcommittees.